
Perhaps Drake has the right idea. Think about it. "Slow Down." "Brand New." "Something." They're all songs that really just analyze different parts of the relationship. So, we'll take a "Last-type" look at each of these songs and what they mean through my eyes, based on my past, present, and future relationships. (No subliminals. All you get.)
"Slow Down"
There are alot of "what if's" in this track, but the main point is that, we could have alot. I might be able to get everything that first night, laying on the grass in the park. Maybe we both feel like we have a connection going that surpasses anything that we've ever felt before. The point is, however, that the initial feeling is based on the moment. There is no reflection. Everything is wonderful when it's new. After that first kiss, you feel like you're on Cloud 9, and that's wonderful. That's what's supposed to happen, but, you also need time to reflect. You need time to "slow down." Drake talks about knowing everything about the person. About it feeling right, but then it's over. Why would you jeopardize something that could be so splendid in the long run, for a bit of satisfaction that crushes everything thereafter? Sometimes we just need a moment to breath, learn, and "slow down." Not everything has to be done so quickly.
"What if I don't call you back, prove you right, and all this lasts just one night. Maybe we should slow it down."
There are a lot of feelings involved in everything that we do. Physical intimacy is one of the ways that our emotions are captured the easiest and hurt with that same sense of ease. Protecting your heart is vital. Taking things slowly can be so beneficial. The magic carpet is going steadily right now. And as long as you're on the same page with that special person, everything will be just fine.
"Brand New"
I'm only talking about the original version of this song. Lil Wayne ruined the remix. I'm sorry. He doesn't ruin many remixes, but this song was just fine the way it was. Alright, here it goes.
"Is anything I'm doing brand new?"
We've all asked this question. Well, most guys have. We don't like to admit that we're self-conscious, but many of us are. Many of us want to make sure that we're doing things right. We need a bit of, not so much gratification, but just, appreciation. If a woman shows no gratitude for our actions, then we have no idea what to think. We think that everything that we're doing has already been done, almost as though she is bored with it. It's often times just good to know that we're doing something right and that we're appreciated, especially if a guy is working his tail off to show her that she's more than just a girl, a woman, or just another conquest. When a real guy comes along, she should show him that he's doing things differently, or at least differently than she's previously experienced.
"And I hate hearing stories bout who you been wit. That's when I gotta hide, what I'm feelin inside, so you still think I'm confident, and damn. Is this gonna last? You're up on a pedestal. Are we moving to fast? Feel like I'm in crazy competition with the past."
Again, you have to slow things down to understand what it is that you have to do. We as men need to know her, and she needs to know us. That's just the way things go. We do have to learn about eachother's past. If we don't learn about eachother's past, it's very hard to understand what is, in fact, "brand new" and what has already been done. We all want to be original in the way we love, treat, and make love to someone. We want everything to be "brand new."
"Something"
The song is only two minutes and ten seconds long, but I may have never heard a song that I could identify with more.
"Falling too fast, clearly rules don't apply. Can't believe that I just met you. You got me here watching minutes pass by, wondering when to expect you. There you go. Is this a dream? Looking like every picture that I've seen of you before."
We often times fall too fast. We often times want a person to fill a void in our lives. We often think that nothing is "something" simply because we don't know the person. "Falling to fast. Can't believe that I just met you." Drake is dealing with a stranger. He knows that it could be "something" because of his initial reaction to her, but he doesn't know because he doesn't know her. We've gotten away from having a friend before we have a significant other. We've gotten away from actually caring about a person's likes and dislikes. Now it's more so based on how fast we can have sex with them. Our relationships have become entirely physical, to the point that we're having sex with strangers; not knowing who they are, what they like, or what there goals are in life.
"I've seen it all before. Now that its over, I should have known better than to think this was real and you could be mine. I should have known better, slowed it down, cause I feel you needed time, but I kept thinkin..."
We push things because our heart craves love. We crave that feeling of being in love to the point that we convince ourselves we're there based on the notion that we could get to that point with a person.
"This could be something, this could be something, this could be something. Maybe it's just nothing at all. But this could be something..."
We all know when the potential for love is there. I just hope that we realize that there is always time to grow to care about the person. There is no rush if there is promise and potential there. We learn from our mistakes of rushing things in the past. Drake speaks on that in the beginning of the song. He says that he knows that time was needed. A lot of times people need to heal from past relationships. A lot of times people have to learn to trust again. No, it's not necessarily fair that the next person has to pay for the last person's faults and mistakes; whether it was cheating, lying, or general lack of respect, but, if it is indeed "something," then it's worth the time and effort.
"I guess it's what we make it, I guess it's what we make it."
We have the power to make any relationship what we want it to be. We have to discern when is the appropriate time for the appropriate action.
I'm glad that I have my magic carpet and my sixth sense...
Genesis 12

No comments:
Post a Comment